Creating a Long-Range Plan
This planning process is recommended for students who are classified as sophomore or higher.
You will need:
1. Review your degree audit report. Highlight the requirements you have remaining. Double check the requirements on the checksheet and be sure to include any free electives.
2. Chart on a sheet of paper or a schedule planning form the semesters you have remaining either until application to McCoy College or until graduation.
3. Fill in the semesters with the remaining classes you need to complete. Try to achieve a balance between reading/writing and math-oriented courses in each semester. Courses must be done in prerequisite order. The recommended course sequence on the checksheet is designed to assist students in sequencing their courses.
4. Check the Undergraduate Catalog and CatsWeb to see that you meet all prerequisites. Note that prerequisites are subject to change and the most up-to-date information is on CatWeb. You can be dropped from a course if you do not meet the prerequisites by the first day of class. Not meeting prerequisites also jeopardizes your grade in a course as the professor assumes that all students in the course have mastered the material taught in the prerequisite courses.
Some guidelines/helpful tips:
- Students must have completed 60 hours prior to enrolling in upper-level (3000-4000) business courses.
- A 2.0 Texas State GPA is required to enroll in all upper-level business courses.
- Upper-level business courses (with the exception of selected courses - see sixth bullet) cannot be taken before you are admitted to McCoy College.
- For catalog years 2002-2007, a grand total of a minimum of 128 hours must be completed for the BBA degree. For catalog years 2008 and higher, a grand total of 120 hours must be completed for the BBA degree If you have transferred a significant amount of junior college hours, review the limits for junior college hours that can be applied.
- If you have not yet applied to McCoy College, carefully note the courses that must be taken before you can apply.
- ENG 1310
- ENG 1320
- MATH 1329
- Lower-level business core courses may be taken before or after McCoy College acceptance. Additionally, students seeking admission to McCoy College are only eligible to complete selected upper-level courses that designated as part of the business administration minor. Please note that FIN 3325 and CIS 3317 on the business minor may not fill any BBA requirements for some majors. Check the requirements of the desired major in the catalog or on the checksheet before enrolling in these courses prior to admission. Consult with a University College advisor when you need assistance prior to admission. For a complete list of courses that students are eligible to complete prior to admission refer to the Changing to a Business Major (PDF File) brochure.
- Many courses are taught in summer, however, summer graduation is contingent on careful advance planning. Consult with your academic advisor.
- Some majors allow for the selection of advanced business electives. Advanced business electives are 3000-4000 level business courses of the students choosing. Students should take advantage of this opportunity and tailor these courses toward the career area of interest.
- Carefully read any footnotes when choosing advanced electives as some are restricted to a choice of listed courses.
5. After completing your plan, have it reviewed by an academic advisor during a scheduled appointment.