Skip to Content

Common Error Messages

Expand or Collapse all.
  • Student classification is based on the number of credit hours completed (not including any hours you are currently in the process of earning).  

    Freshman Completed fewer than 30 credit hours
    Sophomore Completed 30-59 credit hours
    Junior Completed 60-89 credit hours
    Senior Completed 90+ credit hours

    The course you are attempting to register for requires a certain classification that you have not met. (i.e. Most 3000-4000 level courses require at least junior status)

    Your options at this time are to:

    1. Register for alternative courses in your degree plan by referring to your Degree Plan Checksheet for course options
    2. Wait until grades post at the end of the semester and your classification is updated to a new standing.
    3. Contact your advisor if there is an error and you do in fact have more credit hours completed than what your classification status reflects so that we can look into the problem.
  • The section of the course you are attempting to register for does not have any seats available. 

    Your options at this point include:

    • Select a different section of the same course that does have available seats (i.e. class may meet at a different day and time)
    • Register for an alternative course that fits into your degree plan and take the closed class in a different semester (you should consult with an advisor to be sure that pushing back the class will not push back your projected graduation date)
    • Continue re-visiting the registration site to check the course's seat availability throughout the remainder of each registration period (see the Academic Calendar for a complete list of the registration periods for a semester; look for Registration, Late Registration & Schedule Changes, and Schedule Changes)
    • Contact the Academic Department that offers the course to inquire about options for submitting closed class requests.
      • For instructions regarding Closed Class requests, please refer to our Closed Classes page.
  • Department Approval is required for certain courses and for certain sections of courses for a variety of reasons. 

    If all sections of the course require department approval and you believe you should be taking the course, you should contact the Academic Department to ask about receiving a Department Override.

  • The course you are attempting to register for requires instructor approval prior to registration. Contact the instructor of the course requesting to be permitted into the class. The course listing in the 'Class Search' function of 'Registration & Schedule Changes' includes the name of the instructor assigned to the course. You can find that instructor's contact information by searching their name in the top right-hand box of the Texas State homepage.

  • Classes such as MGT 3353, MGT 3453, and PHIL 1320 may require you to register for both a lecture and a lab section. To register, follow the steps below:

    • Select the lecture section you wish to enroll in.
    • Click the blue, five-digit Course Registration Number (CRN).
    • Towards the top of the page, it should indicate which lab must be taken with this lecture.
    • Click "Return to Previous."
    • Select the checkbox next to your selected lecture and its corresponding lab.
    • Click "Register."
  • Most departments manage course enrollment by permitting only students who have declared a certain major or minor to enroll in many of their courses. 

    Your options are to:

    • Refer to your Degree Audit and/or Degree Plan Checksheet to confirm whether you are actually attempting to register for a course that is required for your degree plan; you may have inadvertently been searching for the wrong course.
    • Check the Major/Minor information listed at the top of your Degree Audit to confirm that you are officially declared as having that major/minor.  If the major/minor information listed there is not correct, you will need to schedule an advising appointment to have your curriculum records updated.
  • You can view the prerequisite requirements for the course you are attempting to register for by using the 'Class Search' function in 'Registration & Schedule Changes,' clicking on the blue CRN number of the section you are attempting to register for, then clicking on the blue course title and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    Since there are often a number of different prerequisite requirements for a course, you should start by determining which prerequisite(s) in that list the system may be identifying you as being deficient of.

    From there your options are:

    • Register for an alternative course. If you realize upon viewing the prerequisites that you indeed do not meet the prerequisites for that course, most likely you should be working on taking the appropriate coursework this semester so that you will meet those prerequisites at a later date. You may refer to your Degree Plan Checksheet and your Degree Audit for course options in your degree plan.
    • Request a prerequisite override. If you meet the prerequisite requirements for a course in a way that the registration system does not recognize (i.e., ELNA credit or a course substitution, off-campus coursework not yet posted to your transcript), you can fill our an Override Request Form to request assistance.                      
  • Some sections of courses are restricted to specific populations of students, for example, Honors sections of business core classes. Often these section numbers start with an 'H' -- for example, MGT 3453 Section H01. You will not be able to register for these sections unless you have an Honors Student attribute. You will need to select a different section of the course.

  • The course you are attempting to register for conflicts with something else you have already added to your schedule. You can review your current schedule while in 'Registration & Schedule Changes' by clicking on 'View my schedule' on the left side of the screen near the top. 

    Your options are to:

    • Select a different section of the course you are attempting to add so that there is no longer a time conflict
    • Drop the conflicting course from your current schedule, select a different section of that original course, then proceed with adding the new course as desired

    If multiple courses you need are offered only at conflicting times, you should consult with your advisor to determine which course is more urgent for you to take this semester.