Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All Content
  • Registration Questions

    • All closed class issues are handled by the course's sponsoring department. See our closed class page for more information about how each department handles closed class requests.

    • McCoy College does not use the waitlist function for closed classes. However, you may be able to waitlist a course outside of McCoy College.

    • Classes such as MGT 3353, MGT 3453, and PHIL 1320 may require you to register for both a lecture and a lab section. To register, follow the steps below:

      • Select the lecture section you wish to enroll in.
      • Click the blue, five-digit Course Registration Number (CRN).
      • Towards the top of the page, it should indicate which lab must be taken with this lecture.
      • Click "Return to Previous."
      • Select the checkbox next to your selected lecture and its corresponding lab.
      • Click "Register."
    • You should discuss your plans to take courses off campus at a community college with your academic advisor.

      However, generally, you may take any lower-division course at a community college as long as it is a direct equivalent to the required course at Texas State. You will need to use the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to determine if the course is a direct equivalent.

      Please keep in mind McCoy College students may only apply 72 hours of community college credit towards degree requirements. In addition, 50% of your business courses must be taken at Texas State, and 24 of your final 30 hours of credit before graduation must be taken at Texas State.

      If you choose to enroll in a prerequisite course at a community college, you should speak with your academic advisor about how this could effect registration for future courses. You may need to fill out an override request form to register during early registration before the prerequisite course is complete.

      Lastly, you should always send your official transcript from your community college to Undergraduate Admissions as soon as your course is complete to ensure your Texas State records are accurate and up to date.

    • No, prerequisite courses must be completed in the semester prior to taking the following course. For example, you must take ACC 2361 in the semester prior to taking ACC 2362. You may not take both ACC 2362 and FIN 3312 in the same semester since ACC 2362 is a prerequisite for FIN 3312.

  • Degree Questions

    • You should consult with an academic advisor if you have questions about your double major.

      Generally speaking, you cannot take classes that count for both major requirements. For example, taking MKT 4310 as a required course for a Marketing major cannot also be used as an Advanced Business Elective for a second major in Management. You must taken a separate course to fulfill the Advanced Business Elective requirement.

    • An Advanced Business Elective is any 3000- or 4000-level business course for which you have met the prerequisites (except for FIN 3325/FIN 3340 and MGT 3353) and that is not already being applied to your other required business courses (i.e. business core classes and major specific classes).

      You may find a "list" of offered Advanced Business Electives by doing a course search under the following course options:

      • Business Administration
      • Business Law
      • Accounting
      • Computer Information Systems
      • Economics
      • Finance
      • Management
      • Marketing
    • A minor is not required for McCoy College BBA students. BA ECO students are required to have a minor.

    • In order to graduate, you must take 9 hours of Writing Intensive coursework at Texas State. Many students will complete this requirement by taking required courses at Texas State, such as HIST 1310, HIST 1320, PHIL 1320, MGT 3353, MGT 3453, or MGT 4335. You should speak with your advisor if you have questions regarding if you will meet this requirement with required courses.

    • You should speak with an advisor regarding grade requirements for specific courses, but in general, a 'D' is considered a passing grade. However, you should take into account how a 'D' may affect GPA requirements for graduation and for probation. In addition, some courses require a prerequisite course grade of a 'C' or 'B' or higher to move on to the following course. Consult your academic advisor about your specific situation for clarity.

    • Free Electives are any for-credit and non-developmental college-level course of your choosing for which you meet prerequisites and have not yet taken. You may search through the course offerings for the semester in which you are trying to register to find a free elective, or you may consult your academic advisor for suggestions.

      If taking free electives off-campus, be sure the courses are transferrable to TXST and do not come in as an equivalent to courses you have already taken - see our Off-Campus Checklist.

  • Advising Center Questions

  • Emergency Pass (EP) Grade Questions

    • In most cases, it won't have an effect at all. An EP grade doesn't result in any new quality points or credit hours factored into your grade point average; it will only show that you have completed the course. Therefore, the grade is GPA-neutral: it neither helps nor hurts.  For a few students, though, the course in question may have been taken as a first-time repeat of a previous Texas State grade for the purpose of grade replacement; those students should review a GPA calculation with an advisor to determine their best option.

    • An EP will represent grades of D, C, B, or A, depending on what letter grade you initially earned in spring 2020 which you are requesting to be changed to an EP.

      If you are needing a specific letter grade of a "C or better" or "B or better" in a course as a prerequisite for a future course, an "EP" will not automatically satisfy the requirement. Therefore, if your initial grade earned in spring 2020 (which you plan to request to be changed to an EP) does not meet the minimum prerequisite grade requirement, you will need to repeat the course in a future semester and earn the required minimum grade or better before being eligible to take the subsequent course(s).

    • Since an EP grade is considered a passing grade, as long as you are able to still meet all necessary minimum GPAs and fulfill all other degree program requirements you should be eligible to graduate. See Graduation Requirements.

      Reminder: EP's are not factored into your GPA and cannot be used to raise or lower a GPA. If you are needing a minimum number of GPA quality points to meet a certain GPA, you should contact our advising center to ask about a GPA calculation to determine if an EP grade may affect your ability to earn the minimum points needed to graduate.

    • Wait to see what letter grade(s) you earn when spring grades post on Tuesday, May 19th. Then, if you earn a passing grade (A, B, C, D) in a course but would prefer to have the grade replaced with an EP, you have until 5:00pm on Monday, May 25th, 2020 to submit a written request to your instructor for consideration. If you want to request multiple EP grades, you will need to individually email a request to each of your instructors.

    • It depends. Because admission requirements vary among programs and since the EP grade is a new option, it is recommended you reach out to the specific graduate program(s) you're interested in applying to in order to understand how an EP grade will be viewed.

    • Due to the individualized nature of student benefits and aid assistance, we recommend directly contacting the designated office for any questions on how your aid or benefits could be affected:

      For Financial Aid inquiries, contact the Financial Aid office at or 512.245.2315

      For Veterans Benefits inquiries, contact the Veterans Affairs office at or 512.245.2641